Matcha Scone Recipe
This mildly sweet and aromic scone is the perfect green tea twist on an old English favorite. Whether you decide to delight guests with these tasty -and decidedly rare- treats or enjoy them yourself, the Matcha used in this recipe is high in nutrition giving your baked goods a healthy tweak. The baker for this recipe prefers the Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha but suggests the Excellent Grade Kitchen Matcha if you desire more Matcha flavor in your scone. And should you decide to buy our matcha powder don’t fear having only one use for it! This powder is great for lattes and can be used in many other recipes – all posted on the Obubu website.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup small chocolate chips
3/4 cup cold milk (you can also substitute it with soy milk)
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 190C. Keeping the temperature not too high helps to keep the nice green matcha color.
2. Let’s make scones! Mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder. Make sure to mix them well.
3. Add diced cold butter and knead them into the powder mixture and it becomes a nice dry mixture.
4. Add the egg yolk and milk. Knead the dough well.
5. Add chocolate chips.
6. Press dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle with thickness of 2 cm (or 0.7 inch).
7. Cut into 6 wedges and place them on a baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 20 – 30 minutes. Can be served warm or cold.